Like all precious objects, diamonds require proper care and protection. Although diamonds are considered to be the hardest mineral on earth, they are not indestructible.
Everyday exposure to creams, skin oils, hairspray, soap, hand sanitizers, household chemicals and other substances can cause buildup that will dull your diamond's brilliance and sparkle. And what is a diamond without its sparkle?
We have people asking us all the time how to keep their diamond jewelry looking amazing. So, here are some tips from industry experts on how you can ensure that your diamond jewelry will always be stunning:
We recommend that you remove your diamond jewelry when engaging in any type of activity that might endanger the stone or mounting. These might include gardening, playing sports or working out at the gym. Though your diamond is durable, it can be chipped by a hard blow. Check out this full list of situations that you may want to consider taking off diamond engagement rings.
When you remove your jewelry, be sure to store it properly. This will both help protect your diamond jewelry as well as help you to avoid misplacing the your valuable investment.
It's also a good idea to bring in your diamond jewelry to a jeweler at least twice a year to check the mountings, settings, and stones, and to have your diamond professionally cleaned.
Cleaning your diamond jewelry is a simple and straightforward task which you can do at home using regular, safe, household products.
Here are the steps you should take at home to help clean your jewelry:
1. Create a warm, mild, soapy solution by mixing liquid soap, dish-washing liquid, or detergent with warm water. Do not use chlorine bleach, this can damage or discolor your mounting.
2. Soak your diamond in the solution.
3. If necessary, use a soft brush to clean small crevices. Do not use rough or metal bristles. Soft toothbrushes work the best.
4. Be aware that fragile settings and estate jewelry won't take kindly to being scrubbed with a toothbrush, so use a soft touch.
5. Rinse the diamond jewelry in warm water. You may place the ring in a strainer so as not to drop it.
6. And please be sure to use a clean, dry, lint-free cloth to dry your diamond jewelry.
There are also a number of jewelry cleaning kits and cleaning solutions on the market. You can buy these kits or solution at many local retailers or jewelers. If you choose to buy a kit or solution, be sure that it is the correct solution for the jewelry you wish to clean. Read the directions carefully and follow the listed instructions.